When choosing a cosmetic surgeon, there are several questions you should ask the surgeon and yourself.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery?
- Additional information on ABCS board certification
- What training do you have in the procedure I am considering?
- How many years have you been performing this procedure?
- How many times have you performed this procedure?
- Can I relate to this surgeon?
- Do I think the recommendations by the surgeon are safe and right for me?
- Throughout the process, will I be comfortable asking the surgeon any question?
- Will I be able to disclose my full medical history and habits to the surgeon?
Safety and the Operating Facility
- Where do you perform the surgery?
- What is your facility’s level of accreditation? AAAHC, AAAASF, TJC or JCAHO provide operating facility certification.
- What are the qualifications of the anesthetist? You want a Board Certified Anesthesiologist or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).
- Is the staff friendly and supportive?
- Did I receive invaluable materials to prepare me for the risks of surgery and recovery?
- Have all fees been clearly stated?
- Did I receive a prompt reply when contacting the practice?